For the past several years, I've given myself this challenge. It's based on conveying a message over and over to my ten grandchildren and using favorite products that I've been hoarding. You can easily translate it to work for you, by conveying a message to your children, friends or loved ones. It can be easily converted to work for cardmaking too. It's sort of like working with a sketch, but a little different, in that you try to skew it or let it morph with each recreation.
Here's how I do it:
I gather a stack of individual photos of each of my grandchildren. I take the top photo off the pile and create a layout using that photo, including the message I want to convey, as well as a title that ties in.
Here's the basic sketch that I created after making the layout:
Keeping the basic sketch simple is key.
Here's the first layout I created:
The switch I made on this one was to flip the photo and tag, tuck in a few more embellishments and moved the title to the bottom.
The large mat pattern paper with the animals was one of my faves and I used this one even with a previously cut circle missing and made that part of the design. I moved the title to the journaling spot and tucked the journaling under the photo and extending onto the background cardstock.
I wanted to keep this one simple and experiment with my handwriting and a thicker marking pen for journaling. I moved the title to the bottom right and stacked it.
This photo was horizontally oriented so I had to rethink the design a bit. I kept the journaling on the tag as the original layout and moved the title and pretty much everything to the middle. I stacked the title in the center bottom and added a random placement circle garland.
I had two smaller photos next, which allowed me to use the same basic design. I added the title in the journaling spot and put the journaling at the bottom right. Lots of layers and a layered up garland.
I had a taller skinny photo this time, which fit perfectly on the tag. I spritzed the tag with a little OA Hitching Post Sprinkler. Kept the design very similar to the previous design.
I mixed this one up a lot. Turned the design on it's side and split up the titlework. Added strip journaling across the bottom.
With the older boys, I kept the layouts simple. I didn't want them too foofy!
This second to the last layout was when my sewing machine started having issues...so please excuse the messed up titlework. It happens. I still like it. I added a block of pattern paper to the bottom and aded embellishments t the right side.
I sort of chose to show how Farmhouse works for boys (above) or girls. This layout was the last and really morphed!
I was able to create eleven layouts with a message I wanted the kiddos to have and it didn't take days and days! I feel like it amped up my creativity too! Here are a few shots of the depth of layers:
I hope this exercise inspires you and stirs up a renewed creativity and freedom! We would love to see your creations on our Flickr board. Thanks!
*Since I forgot to identify myself in the initial post, it's me, Becky! Thanks!