Hi everyone, Marcy here with a challenge for you.
This week, on the October Afternoon blog, we'll be highlighting the Sprinklers. I know that misting is scary for a lot of people, so I've got a challenge for you all that will make good use of those mists.
I'm totally okay with splattering mist droplets on my pages and using my mists to recolor diecuts and things like that. But other techniques with mists are intimidating. So, this week I wanted to try something new. I wanted to try masking with mists, but more than that... I wanted to make my own mask.
I wanted to use a unicorn diecut with a mask on my daughter's birthday card. (It's a totally gag by the way. She was making a birthday list and it was full of Avenger stuff, Sherlock Holmes... and then she put "a unicorn" on there as a joke... so we've been bugging her about it for days!)
I used the sticky part of a post-it note and punched out little stars. Then I placed these on the unicorn.
From there I misted blue, green and yellow from left to right to create an ombre effect. Once it was dry I removed the stars with an exacto knife.
Masking with the little stars actually worked quite well.
I asked Vivian to tackle this challenge as well.
Heres' what Vivian had to say about creating her mask, "I created a three-part mask using my Silhouette Cameo (but could have gotten the same effect using a paper trimmer and letter stickers to create my three-part mask). I sized my title element to 6" high and placed it next to a 3.5" X 6" rectangle. I surrounded both elements with an 11" X 7" rectangle and cut all three elements out together from one piece of 12" X 12" cardstock. After having printed my journaling on a piece of 12" X 12" white cardstock, I placed the 11" X 7" mask over my printed cardstock and then placed the title element and smaller rectangle inside. I used the Cakewalk Pink Lemonade Sprinkler to spray ink over all three elements. This technique never yields perfect results, yet somehow those imperfections often turn our to be perfect. I was initially bothered when I got a big ink blob close to the bottom of the large rectangle, but ended up loving the look it added to my layout. Once the ink was dry, I added a 4" X 6" photo trimmed down to 2.5" X 5" inside the smaller rectangle and finished the layout by adding a tin pin and creating a banner composed of stickers, die cuts, and twine. The banner includes pieces from the Woodland Park, Cakewalk, and 9 to 5 lines. That's the great thing about October Afternoon Sprinklers - since colors repeat across product lines it's easy to mix and match. All told, this layout took me about 20 minutes to complete from the time I started to design my mask until the final element was glued down."
We'd love to see how you tackle this challenge. If you give it a shot, please share your projects in the Flickr Gallery.